Matching Gifts Program Rules
(formerly known as Matching Incentive Program – MIP)
Rules for Participation
Our Matching Gifts Program provides opportunities for employees and retirees to have their donations to eligible nonprofit organizations, schools, and accredited colleges and universities matched by the Verizon Foundation.
Matching Gifts: 1:1 match up to $1,000 per year, per donor
Matching Gifts – Higher Education: 1:1 match up to $5,000 per year, per donor
- U.S.: Most U.S. based 501(C)(3) organizations, U.S. public and private schools and U.S. accredited colleges and universities. Non U.S. organizations and schools that have been pre-approved and vetted for inclusion in the Matching Gifts Program.
- APAC, Canada, EMEA, LATAM: Click here for the organizations list
- Active full-time and part-time employees are eligible; retirees are eligible for Higher Education match only.
- Donor must be an active full-time or part-time employee or retiree when donation is made and matching gift request is submitted online with the Verizon Foundation.
- Donations must be a personal financial contribution of $25 or more from the donor’s own assets and paid directly to an eligible 501(C)(3)organization, U.S. public or educational institution, a U.S. based accredited college or university or an eligible APAC, Canada, EMEA or LATAM organization.
Donations must be in one of the following forms:
- personal check/cheque
- money order
- credit card payment
- transfer of stock certificate
- Donor is not permitted to request a matching gift on behalf of a charitable organization or educational institution if they are a founder or employee of that organization or educational institution.
- Matching Gift funds may not be used to provide any direct or indirect financial benefit to the employee, employee’s family member* or any person with whom the employee shares a close personal relationship** (i.e., matching gifts may not be used to pay a salary, fulfill membership dues or registration fees, or satisfy a personal pledge, etc.).
- Team pledges are not eligible for matching via the Matching Gifts Program.
Submitting your matching gift request:
- 2013 matching gift requests must be submitted online by Jan. 31, 2014
- Employees must register their own donations and submit their own grant requests.
A representative of the charitable organization or educational institution is required to confirm receipt of your donation on line. The following are individuals are NOT permitted to confirm on behalf of the organization or educational institution:
- The employee
- A member of the employee’s family*
- Someone with whom the employee shares close personal relationship**
- Any Verizon employee
- 2013 Matching gift requests must be confirmed by March 31, 2014.
Matching Gift Payout:
- The Verizon Foundation will not consider a Matching Gift to be eligible for payout if there is any discrepancy between the donation amount entered by the donor and the donation amount confirmed by the organization or educational institution.
- Matching Gifts are reviewed and paid on a quarterly basis; checks are mailed directly to the charitable organization or educational institution.
- The donor will receive an email notifying them that their donation has been processed and matched by the Verizon Foundation.
*Family Member includes members of the employee's immediate and extended family. (Immediate and extended family includes, but is not limited to, one's spouse, domestic partner, parents, brothers, sisters, children, grandparents, grandchildren, cousins, in-laws, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews or any similar half or step-relationship.)
**Close Personal Relationship refers to anyone in your family or household, someone with whom you have, or had, a romantic relationship or other close personal relationship.
The Verizon Foundation cannot process any gift where there is a discrepancy between the gift amount entered by the donor and the amount confirmed by the nonprofit.
Please be sure to abide by all Matching Gifts Program rules.
Only those application that adhere to the rules will be considered for approval and payout. All Matching Gift requests are subject to review by Verizon Internal Audit and Verizon Security.
As stated in the code of Conduct, Verizon does not tolerate falsification or improper alteration of records. Failure to comply with any provision of the Code or company policy is a serious violation, and may result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
Eligibility, terms, and conditions of the program are subject to change at any time. If you have any questions regarding these terms and how they apply to you or your gift please call contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or if you are in the US , you can call us at 866-247-2687 Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. EST and we will be happy to review them with you.